Peer 2 Peer University and Chicago Public Library seek a Community Organizer to connect two local Chicago neighborhoods with learning programs at their local branch library. This position has three primary goals:
● Recruit, mentor, and support learners from local Chicago communities who might benefit from access to online course study groups.
● Advocate for community needs and support project design to suit such needs.
● Facilitate small study groups that occur weekly in the selected branch library locations.
This project is part of a Knight Foundation grant to help onboard local residents to online learning. The position is a 6 month long parttime contract (with the possibility of extension up to 18 months), and reports to Peer 2 Peer University’s Learning Officer. Salary is comparable to similar roles in the nonprofit and library sector. Applicants should be prepared to begin by April 1, 2015 at the latest.
● Work closely with the P2PU Learning Officer, and coordinate with CPL Director, Learning and Economic Advancement as well as library branch staff.
● Research target neighborhoods and library branches for the pilot program.
● Recruit users into the program (produce flyers, host information nights, think of other ways to promote the courses)
● Develop promotional materials to advertise the courses at the local library branches.
● Work with the P2PU Learning Officer to develop education materials that help participants in the study groups become successful online learners.
● Support learners while they are taking the courses. With the P2PU Learning Officer, develop a script to engage local residents with relevant online learning offerings and a suite of activities for learners to co-support one another.
● Revise materials as necessary, prepare recommendations for a largerscale program in a project report.
● Proven track record of success in organizing campaigns for nonprofit initiatives, adult education programs or other job training roles.
● Strong ties to community networks in the Chicagoland area.
● Excellent communication skills across a variety of audiences and stakeholders.
● Digital fluency and some familiarity with online learning desired.
Any Enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
More about the project: http://www.knightfoundation.org/grants/201550344/