Harboring Hearts is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit seeking an intern to support our programs in our New York City Office located at the vibrant Centre for Social Innovation. The program intern will be responsible for assisting in various activities related to our financial assistance program, community events, and program development.
Harboring Hearts is currently affiliated with New YorkPresbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center, Mount Sinai Hospital, and Montefiore Medical Center.
We work closely with hospital social workers to identify patients and families who are experiencing serious hardship during treatment and extend support to meet their specific, immediate needs. Our community events in hospitals provide emotional support and respite, and foster meaningful connections among heart patients and their families. We are in the process of expanding our programs and services, including the development of a comprehensive support program for patients and families. The program intern will make important contributions to this project.
This position will require 15-21 hours per week for the duration of the semester.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Manage requests for the Emergency Fund program
2. Assist in monitoring and evaluating the Emergency Fund program
3. Build on existing relationships with hospitals and identify additional partnerships
4. Assist in program development and planning efforts
5. Assist in the Community Support program
6. Assist in collecting program data for evaluation measures
7. Increase knowledge and skills in social enterprise administration, case management, and program development
Emergency Fund Program Support
○ Manage referrals from social workers via email or by phone
○ Interact with referred families as needed
○ Track all referrals to monitor and evaluate the program
○ Regularly interact with social workers to maintain and build on existing relationships
○ Explore potential housing networking/partnership opportunities
○ Followup with families following assistance/hospitalization
○ Assist in managing and tracking hospital disbursed funds
○ Provide 25 case summaries to team on a weekly basis
Community Support Program
○ Assist in planning the event
○ Identify partnership opportunities for community events
○ Assist in implementing event components on the day of the event
○ Gather information during the event to evaluate the success
● Strong verbal and written communication skills
● Strong professional judgment and a resourceful entrepreneurial spirit
● Able to work well both independently and as part of a team
● Effective organizational skills
● Able to represent the organization in a professional manner
● Comfortable working in a startup environment
● Genuinely interested in both nonprofit work and compassionately assisting heart patients and their families
● Graduate student or recent graduate of social work, public health, or healthcare administration strongly preferred
● Experience in nonprofit work with an emphasis on health or social work preferred
● Fluency in Spanish a plus
This is an unpaid internship that can be used to fulfill credit hours for an approved graduate school program.
How to apply
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter explaining your interest in the position and the organization, your goals and objectives for your internship experience, and the course of study requiring internship credits to firstname.lastname@example.org.