The California Film Institute is seeking a Membership Sales Manager to maintain and grow a loyal base of 3,000 film-loving members. Reporting to the Director of Development and managing the Membership Associate position, the Membership Sales Manager serves as a key member of the Development team. This position will be responsible for meeting revenue goals through retention and acquisition, expanding the membership base, maintaining positive relations in the community, and increasing visibility of the program.
The mission of the California Film Institute, a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization, is to celebrate and promote film as art and education through the following programs:
CFI produces the annual Mill Valley Film Festival, an eleven-day, internationally acclaimed cinema event presenting a wide variety of new films from around the world in an engaged, community setting. Each year the festival welcomes more than 200 filmmakers, representing more than 50 countries. The annual event is consistently rated as one of the top film festivals in the nation.
CFI owns and operates the Christopher B. Smith Rafael Film Center, a state-of-the-art, three-screen nonprofit theater. The venue exhibits independent documentaries, classics, retrospectives, features, international works and hosts special events with filmmakers from around the world year-round. The Film Center annually serves approximately 160,000 attendees.
CFI Education is building the next generation of filmmakers and film lovers through its creative film programs for Bay Area students, serving 7,000 young people and hundreds of educators, adults and families since 1986.
More organizational information available at: www.cafilm.org and www.mvff.com
ROLE / RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategic Planning / Reporting
● Manage membership department expense budgets, and monitor overall monthly expenditures. Act as department liaison to the Finance Department to prepare and track expense reports, reimbursements, and invoice payments. Create a weekly financial report for the Director of Development.
● Maintain the organization’s Raiser’s Edge membership database (inclusive of creating and sharing the establishment of database entry processes and procedures) and generate revenue reports for all fundraising campaigns. Analyze the data to adjust plans and strategies.
● Analyze ticket trends from the Smith Rafael Film Center and Mill Valley Film Festival using the organization’s Agile ticketing system to find new opportunities for membership acquisition and retention.
● Create multiple engaging and creative promotions and marketing campaigns aimed at film-arts enthusiasts and supporters to increase membership enrollment, retention and upgrades.
● Plan and execute all marketing communications for CFI Membership. Work with the marketing department to create messaging for quarterly campaigns, emails, signage at venues, print publications, the website and more.
● Manage and implement, in addition to year-round acquisitions, a large direct mail acquisition campaign in conjunction with the Mill Valley Film Festival. Produce copy, supervise collateral design, gather mailing lists, and supervise and formulate all aspects of each direct mail campaign. Evaluate response statistics, determine the campaigns effectiveness, and adjust the strategy as necessary for the next fundraising cycle.
● Supervise the process and administration of all membership donations, including renewal, gifts and matching gifts. Manage fulfillment of all member benefits and recognition.
● Coordinate and present Member Screenings, retention events, and
cultivation events. Responsible for notifying members and managing all screening and event details (invitation design, print delivery, rental invoice, member check in, reception, etc.).
● Manage fulfillment of all Mill Valley Film Festival ticket benefits. This includes concierge ticketing for select levels of membership and overseeing on sale dates for all membership levels. Work with box office and operations staff to ensure all member benefits are met.
● Respond to all member requests for assistance and general inquiries via email, regular mail, telephone and in-person within 24 hours. Forward all inquiries that require resolution by other departments to the appropriate staff.
● Provide a personable, friendly and rational customer service to members. Keep detailed notes on member information and prospects. Advocate for members and keep members engaged through communication.
QUALIFICATIONS / SKILLS
•Direct experience in a related membership department is highly valued, but not essential.
•Direct experience with non-profit membership management is a plus.
•Excellent customer service, sales skills and strategic planning experience.
•Strong MS Excel skills and experience with database management. Raiser’s Edge and Agile ticketing system proficiency a plus.
•Must be goal oriented and have proven track record of meeting ambitious revenue targets.
•The ability to maintain a friendly demeanor under pressure.
•Must be a team player who communicates well with co-workers.
•Superior writing and oral communication skills.
•Strong organizational skills and the ability to work on varied tasks with frequent interruption.
•Experience with email and mail acquisitions, renewal and retention programs a plus.
•Understanding of Marin region is a plus.
•Must be available to work weekends and evenings, especially during the fall Festival season.
Application will remain open until the position is filled; seeking immediate start date
Reports to: Director of Development
Supervises: Membership Associate
Position: Full-time, year-round
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Benefits: Health insurance, standard benefits
Office Location: San Rafael, CA
California Film Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. No phone calls. Organizational website: www.cafilm.org
How to apply
Please email resume and cover letter with “Membership Sales Manager” in the subject line to: email@example.com