The Purchasing Manager is an essential part of the Food Acquisition team. As our mission is to END HUNGER, the consistent flow of food is critical to support our community’s needs. The Purchasing Manager (PM) will be responsible for all food purchases that fulfill the needs of Philabundance Programs. The PM will be responsible for assisting in developing the annual purchasing plan and executing that plan throughout the year. The PM is expected to develop and deploy a bid for contract process for all government funds and explore its use in other programs within the organization. The PM is expected to develop and maintain a vendor portfolio that meets the current need and can be engaged to increase purchases quickly and with as little/to no disruption to programs as possible.
The PM will advise and assist on yearly planning, and will execute those plans, reporting to the Deputy Director, Food Acquisition (DDFA). The PM will also be expected to work closely with the Manager, Food Acquisition, as well as Sustainability and Development to ensure that purchases and planning compliment expected donations. The PM will work closely with the DDFA to assist in communications with Finance and The PM will also advise and assist in program development as needed. The PM will be in constant contact with all other departments in Food Flow to ensure that purchased food is being procured within established processes.
· Ability to work on cross functional teams
· Ability to multi-task and workload plan with discernment between Urgent vs. Important.
· Demonstrates excellent customer service at all times
· Ability to comprehend and effectively utilize large volumes of information
· Strong time management skills with attention to detail and ability to keep excellent records
· Strong sense of initiative, creative problem solving, flexibility, and discretion
· Strong understanding and proven execution of purchasing processes, including bids, contracts, long term planning, and government/grant reporting
· Execute Ability to execute purchases within an ERP via a PO process
· Execute effective purchasing methods to secure products necessary to fulfill Philabundance’s program needs
· Develop, deploy, and maintain a bid-contract process for planned purchases
· Aggressively negotiate all vendor contracts for best pricing, terms and delivery
· Manage the Community Purchase Program (CPP), a co-op style program that supplies a variety of staple items to member agencies at a margin
· Develops and maintain long-term vendor/ supplier relationships to insure strong alignment, identify trends proactively and to consistently keep lines of communication open
· Strong supply chain approach will include the identification and development of backup vendor supply resources where appropriate to always keep business in stock
· Stays current and up to date on market trends and supply issues that can affect pricing and supply patterns and keep Food Acquisition staff aware of news
· Manage the integrity of pricing and purchase order data which impacts the acquisition team ability to deliver on time and accurately and align with budget requirements and related reporting.
· Purchase Food for both warehouses and communicate with vendors and with Philabundance operations/transportation departments around purchasing function.
· Assist with annual planning, forecasting and budget building for purchase.
· Maintain and grow collaborative purchasing processes with Philabundance partners.
· Track inventories of produce daily and dry goods to maintain proper stock levels.
· Must have Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
Minimum of 7 years’ purchasing experience, ideally in a food related industry
Proven track record of purchasing at levels exceeding $10m/year
Have a strong portfolio of vendors in the food industry, including Manufacturers, Distributors, Importers, and others in Dry, Shelf Stable, Frozen, and Perishable Food industries
Answering all communication, reacting to and passing along pertinent information
· Proficient with Microsoft Office especially Excel, Word, Power Point, and Outlook
· Proficient in Microsoft Navision, or equivalent ERP systems
Essential Job Functions:
Work in a seated position up to 8 hours a day, 5 days a week
May be required to work some evenings/weekends
May need to lift up to 50 pounds
Self-directed: able to work independently as well as part of a team
Task oriented: able to handle multiple assignments simultaneously
See, hear, and speak with sufficient capability to perform assigned tasks
Ability to drive to off site meetings/vendor establishments and represent Philabundance in a professional manner
Travel is required. Must be willing and able to travel within the service area. Active drivers license and proof of insurance required.
Demonstrate cognitive ability to:
Follow directions and routines, concentrate, memorize, and recall details
Identify logical connections and determine sequence of response,
Provide insight proactively; process up to 2-3 steps ahead
Evaluate problems and escalate / inform Management as necessary
Philabundance is an essential business. We believe and support the safety and security of all of our volunteers and our employees. Background checks will be completed for final candidates. Thank you for supporting Philabundance.
Philabundance is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other status protected under federal, state or local law. We are committed to inclusion equity and diversity.
How to Apply