The ALS Association – DC/MD/VA Chapter
Part-time Grant Writer (Contract Position)
The ALS Association – DC/MD/VA Chapter is seeking a highly motivated, collaborative, mission driven writer to identify new funding opportunities for the organization. With the success of the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, we are poised to reach new grantors and re-energize our existing foundations.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Grant Writer is a self-starter and independent thinker with a track record of delivering results, you are responsible for developing funding proposals and managing grants, and will persuasively communicate The ALS Association – DC/MD/VA Chapter mission and services/programs to funders. In addition, you will assemble and submit grant requests, establish and maintain personal relationships with foundations and corporate contacts, conduct prospect research, and maintain a calendar of submissions and other deadlines.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Developing & writing grant proposals to foundations, corporations & government agencies.
2. Communicating The ALS Association – DC/MD/VA Chapter mission and services/programs to potential funders persuasively.
3. Assembling & submitting grant requests, including letters, proposals, budgets & presentations.
4. Establishing & maintaining personal contact & relationships with foundation, and appropriate corporate contacts.
5. Ensuring prompt acknowledgement of grant awards and charitable donations.
6. Writing acknowledgement letters for charitable contributions from individual donors.
7. Maintaining calendar to ensure timely submission of letters of inquiry, proposals & reports.
8. Conducting funding/donor prospect research, and remaining cognizant of The ALS Association – DC/MD/VA Chapter fiscal and other resource needs.
9. Prioritizing and managing multiple projects in a timely manner throughout the entire grants process.
A Bachelor’s degree, and more than 3 years of relevant experience in public health or healthcare-related grant writing are required.
The successful candidate will be able to craft funding proposals in a clear, concise and compelling manner. Excellent writing and analytical skills are essential.
The candidate must be self-motivated, detail-oriented, and highly-organized, and have experience using online databases and other sources for prospect research.
A high level of computer literacy required, including familiarity with Raiser’s Edge or other relational database, and proficiency with Microsoft Office Products.
Candidate must possess an ability to work well under pressure, synthesize information and communicate in a compelling and succinct manner.
Possess a solid understanding of budgets as they relate to proposals and grants.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements.
Please send resume and salary requirements to JTaylor@ALSinfo.org.