ABOUT THE POSITION
We are looking for a self-starter with strong organizational skills and attention to detail to support our accounting department. This is a new mid-level position, c0-stewarded by the accounting department manager and the founder, and supported by the bookkeeper and office manager.
There is opportunity for the person in this position to expand into tax preparation and other practice areas depending on experience and interest.
Core responsibilities include:
• Completing monthly bank reconciliations for bookkeeping clients
• Assisting with month-end expense allocations and adjusting journal entries in QuickBooks Online for multiple clients each month
• Preparing customized monthly and ad hoc financial reports for clients in Excel or Google Sheets
• Providing general payroll support to clients
• Attending regular check-ins with clients
Additional responsibilities include:
• Participating in internal business development, team building, and equity work
• Assisting clients with state and local revenue tax filings
• Supporting the accounting manager and founder with non-recurring consulting and training projects
A successful team member in this position will use their accounting and organizational skills to ensure that our clients receive timely financial information each month. They will also have an entrepreneurial spirit and motivation to help the business grow.
At a minimum, the experience and skills we’re looking for are:
• Experience and cultural competency working with diverse communities
• An understanding of institutional racism and a strong commitment to social justice
• 2-3 years of work experience in an accounting role
• Understanding of debits and credits and how to make adjusting journal entries
• Proficiency in QuickBooks Online
• Ability to work independently and in a team setting
• Ability to perform detailed work with efficiency and accuracy
• Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks concurrently
• Ability to be flexible about changing priorities and manage competing deadlines
• Highest level of discretion in protecting confidential information and data security
Additionally, the following skills and experience is a plus:
• Experience working with non-profit organizations
• 2+ years of accounting education and working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
• Familiarity with some of the systems and apps we and our clients use: Gmail and Google Drive, Microsoft Teams, Excel and/or Google Sheets, Adobe Acrobat, Gusto, Divvy, Zoom, and CRMs/payment processors like Neon, EveryAction, and Stripe
• Tax preparation experience
• Familiarity with local, state or federal tax law
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Compensation & Work Philosophy: The starting salary range for this position is $68,000-$73,000 depending on experience, with annual raises and occasional bonuses. This is a full-time, non-exempt position based on a 35 hours/week schedule, except during January, March, April, and October. The expectation during those periods is 40 hours/week, and occasional overtime may be required. Working hours are flexible; employees are encouraged to set hours that work for them as long as they are clearly communicated and the work is completed on time.
Though Advocate Accounting is a small company, we believe it’s important to provide the best benefits we can afford. Currently, we offer the following: health insurance reimbursements, retirement plan with 3% employer match, 11 paid holidays including your birthday, 10 days paid vacation, 6.5 days paid sick and safe leave, and internet and phone stipends.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Feb 3rd with “Staff Accountant” in the subject line. We encourage you to apply early as we will be scheduling interviews on a rolling basis. The desired start date is March 6th, but we hope to be flexible to accommodate any needs.