The Assistant to the Executive Director is responsible for managing the fast-paced office of the busy Executive Director. S/he will report directly to the Executive Director, as well as serve as the office manager while providing direct clerical support to the Executive Director. This is a CONFIDENTIAL position.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
– Assist in developing and implementing administrative policies and procedures recommended by the Executive Director. Execute a variety of tasks crucial to the efficient operation of the ASALH office during the Director’s travel periods.
– Manage the Executive Director’s calendar, schedule meetings, coordinate meeting logistics, research and prepare materials, and serve as a key point of contact for corporate sponsors and the Board of Directors.
– Define, develop, and execute functional goals and objectives for assigned areas under the direction of the Executive Director.
– Office management – Coordinate and supervise all clerical and volunteer staff. Monitor productivity of staff and work quality of operational areas.
– Provide administrative support to the Executive Director in the supervision of annual conferences, luncheons, and meetings.
– Provide orientation and training for new staff and provide ongoing professional development for all employees.
– Support the Bookkeeper in monitoring the proceeds of the organization, monitoring all incoming funds to ensure that they are deposited into the correct accounts.
– Prepare and generate a variety of reports, including staff meeting minutes.
– Manage the work load of the Executive Director and prepare the wide variety of correspondence and reports relative to the position. Drafts memos, letters, and emails in response to routine questions.
– Attend, as the support person, the annual conference, luncheon, and any additional meetings. Travel for one week in October is required.
– Manage and complete all special mailings relative to publications.
– Serve as back up for the Membership Services Data Entry Clerk and other clerical positions.
– Complete any other duties or responsibilities assigned by the Executive Director or her designee.
– a minimum of 5 years of related experience is required, including supervisory experience.
– Computer skills are required, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, electronic communication skills, and cloud-based database skills
– Demonstrated organizational skills are required.
– Proven problem solving and interpersonal skills with experience providing complex, confidential administrative support in high-profile situations with tact and diplomacy.
– Proven success meeting multiple deadlines and multiple priorities.
– Ability to work across a variety of projects.
– Interest in African American History and a commitment to ASALH’s mission preferred.
Please email all of the following to Shamia Cottrell at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to ASALH, 2225 Georgia Avenue, NW, Suite 331, Washington, DC 20059.:
cover letter with salary requirments (NOTE: Your cover letter will be used as your writing sample)
No phone calls please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. For more information on ASALH, please visit our website at www.asalh.org.