Position: Activity Assistant
Status: Non-Exempt (Part-time)
Report to: Activities Coordinator
Hours: (20-28) hours per week, involves evenings and weekends
Pay: $10-$12 per hour (DOE)
At-Will Employment: You are free to terminate your employment with the Community Partnership for Families (CPF) at any time, with or without reason, and the CPF has the right to terminate your employment or the employment of others at any time, with or without reason. Although CPF may choose to terminate employment for cause, cause is not required. This is called “at will” employment. Most jobs at CPF are funded by variety of grants, programs, endowment sources. Continued employment is contingent upon receipt of those funds.
DESCRIPTION: Merlo Gym is operated by CPFSJ from 3:00 PM and onward during weekdays and additionally is available for events all weekend long. The programs focus principally on organized athletics and recreation activities but also may include arts, culture, social/emotional health, fitness and nutrition, and other activities. The Activities Assistant is responsible for insuring that the line-up of gym programs and activities is provided to community participants in a safe, positive gym setting. This work must be carried out in a manner that promotes positive relations with gym attendees, the community at large, partner organizations and volunteers. The assistant also insures that gym maintenance; repair/upkeep, safety, and security policies are implemented and enforced. Documentation, organization, and data entry will be completed to collect data regarding the use of the gym and to show the impact of programs and activities.
• Maintain and distribute gym activities schedule
• Directly observe (by being present on-site) that all gym activities are conducted properly and safely by partner organizations
• Address violations of policy to correct partner/participant/volunteer conduct as needed.
• Insure that activity attendance is logged as required, and that other required records are maintained.
• Follow written policies/procedures/rules for gym operation that ensure safe, effective, sustainable operation of the gym.
• Insure that rental revenue is secured according to policy.
• Ensure that the facility is kept in proper order and proper condition, including ensuring that set-up, clean-up, maintenance and repair requirements are met always.
• Personally clean up whenever a partner fails to do so, thus ensuring that the next partner finds a clean gym upon arrival.
• Provide relevant data and information to Activities Coordinator/Site Manager as required
• Address any safety concerns promptly
• Respond promptly to all concerns and issues involving gym attendees, service providers and others who are involved with the gym
• This may include resolving issues that arise in the context of athletic competition or during other activities
• May involve personally conducting or overseeing specific gym activities or programs depending on the types of activity preferences/needs the community has
• Carry out all duties in a manner that promotes positive community relations including with gym attendees, the community at large, partner organizations, volunteers, and CPFSJ staff from other departments and programs
• Other duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
1. Effective, accurate, prompt record keeping
2. Ability to enforce gym policies and procedures consistently and equitably; often requires the ability to be assertive
3. Interpersonal skills and positive demeanor to promote and consistently maintain rapport/respect with gym attendees, the community at large, partner organizations, volunteers
4. Cultural sensitivity and ability to work with a diversity of cultures and needs in the community
5. Ability to properly address tensions and/or conflicts that may arise between or among those who utilize or attempt to utilize the gym
6. May require the ability to personally facilitate/conduct/overseeing specific gym activities or programs per the activity preferences/needs of the community
7. Clearly communicate the terms of agreement, expectations, policies, procedures, etc. to partners, gym attendees and others
8. Effective listening skills
9. Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices, and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
10. Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
11. Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
12. Focus on Client Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external clients to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
13. Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
14. Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities.
10. Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE: High School Degree or higher; A.A. and 1-2 years recreational program oversight experience in a gym setting preferred.
1. Must be authorized to work in United States.
2. Must provide own transportation and have a valid driver’s license and provide proof of insurance.
3. Pass a background check.
Employee in this position must have the ability to:
1. Sit for extended periods of time.
2. Enter data into a computer terminal, operate standard office equipment, and use a telephone
3. See and read a computer screen and printed matter with or without vision aids
4. Hear and understand speed at normal levels and on the telephone.
6. Able to lift and move 40 lbs.
CPF is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please submit Cover letter and Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position will remain open until filled.