The nation’s first charter school support organization, the Charter Schools Development Center (CSDC) remains a leading resource center for charter schools. CSDC’s leadership trainings, publications, and consulting services offer our clients the experience and knowledge of over 20 years of charter school start-up, operational support, and advocacy. We are recognized as the leading experts in charter school law and policy, finance, school design, charter authorizing, governance, and personnel.
Our staff members have assisted with the drafting of the charter laws in over 25 states across the country and play a prominent role in the decision making of school reform policy at both the state and national level. We have worked with hundreds of charter school development groups with the start-up of their charter schools and each year assist the hundreds of CSDC school members with their ongoing operations. We frequently conduct school performance evaluations for charter schools and charter authorizers and provide comprehensive trainings for school leaders and school boards who are seeking to maximize the performance of their schools. CSDC firmly believes that all students deserve a high quality education and we are committed to helping our clients achieve their goals.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED: Degree in education, policy, business/public administration, or related field. Demonstrated experience in managing and analyzing business operations and financial data. Demonstrated experience researching, writing, and editing news articles, research papers, reports, policy papers, or other documents and clearly and succinctly explaining complex matters to a diverse audience. Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills. Demonstrated skill in the use of computer applications, including Microsoft Excel. Demonstrated ability to work independently with little direction and the ability to coordinate many different tasks simultaneously, determine the relative importance of each, set deadlines and complete projects accordingly. Must be detail oriented and have good organizational and client management skills.
PREFERRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED: MBA or graduate-level degree in education, policy, business/public administration, or related field. Demonstrated experience in teaching complex topics to a broad range of adult learners. Experience working with charter schools and/or public school finance. An understanding of California’s current public school funding system and related policy and legislation, including state budget 2 and regulatory matters governing public schools. Experience with school quality and compliance reviews. Experience in designing and/or delivering instruction to adults on complex subject matter.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES Under general direction from the Executive Director of the Charter Schools Development Center (CSDC), this position is responsible for projects primarily related to charter school finance, education policy, and leadership development. Specific duties and responsibilities are as follows:
1. Monitor relevant charter school and general education fiscal and policy matters. Publish fiscal and policy-related updates and other timely, high-interest articles for CSDC’s charter school members as part of our eCurrents online publication. Continually develop content and resources for CSDC’s website. Assist with editing of others’ work as assigned.
2. Manage and lead CSDC’s Charter School Business Officer Training Program. Update and develop content and serve as managing instructor for this 15-module training program. Review and provide feedback on exercises completed by participants. Develop content for, actively participate in, and present at other CSDC workshops and events, including our annual charter school conference and leadership trainings.
3. Assist with on-site school reviews. Use observation, interviews, and document review for assessing fiscal performance, governance capacity, leadership capacity, general school quality, and legal/regulatory compliance.
4. Perform consulting work for charter school developers, operators, and authorizers including, but not limited to, developing operational and financial plans for new charter schools, and assisting clients to establish sound fiscal systems and policies. Provide timely and accurate, ongoing, over-the-phone/email technical assistance to address CSDC member questions.
5. Perform financial and policy-related research to support CSDC advocacy work and other projects. Support CSDC’s advocacy and governance staff to advance CSDC’s policy agenda related to charter school finance. Speak at and participate in hearings, meetings, and other settings regarding fiscal policy matters. Maintain ongoing working relationships with policy and agency staff to monitor key funding programs.
6. Must be able to read, comprehend, and interpret charts, graphs, and various documents as well as hand-written correspondence.
7. Must be able to listen and respond to clients clearly and professionally both over the phone and in-person.
8. Must be able to travel to CSDC events, government agency meetings, and clients as needed.
9. Occasional moderate lifting.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: The position is located at CSDC’s main office in Sacramento. This is an at-will, exempt, full-time, benefited position. Continued employment in this position is dependent upon funding and the mutual consent of the Charter Schools Development Center (CSDC) and the employee, and either CSDC or the employee can, at any time, terminate the employment relationship at will, with or without cause.
RATE OF PAY: Competitive salary and benefits, salary commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY: Complete CSDC’s employment application form (found at: www.csdcwebapps.org/CSDC_Employment_Application.doc) and submit with a cover letter and resume to Stephanie Schwuchow, Director of Operations (email@example.com).