The American Littoral Society is seeking a candidate for the position of Director of Development, Membership and Outreach. The successful candidate will work directly with the Executive Director, Assistant Director and the Development Committee of the Board of Trustees, to oversee all fundraising initiatives, the membership program, special events, and select outreach and communications initiatives for the Society. This position is responsible for managing individual, foundation, government, and corporate grants and gifts, and the annual giving campaign, and sustaining existing relationships while developing new approaches.
Our Work and Mission:
The American Littoral Society is a leader in coastal conservation and uses education, conservation and advocacy to achieve its goals.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Oversee annual fundraising program including government, corporate and foundation grants and relationships
• Maintain grants reporting and submission deadlines and work directly with Executive Director, Assistant Director, and six Program Directors in four offices to identify fundraising opportunities that support restoration, conservation, advocacy, and education initiatives.
• Oversee all grant applications and reports, and keep and update the Society’s grant management schedule.
• Maintain and support ongoing relationships with funders, work directly with individual donors, and identify and cultivate new prospects.
• Write general operating support and education grants, and edit and support all other grant submissions.
• Write Annual Appeal letters and all acknowledgements.
• Maintain grant administration system including all required registrations for government grants.
• Identify new prospective individual and corporate donors and develop strategies to cultivate those relationships.
• Plan and execute the annual 350+ person End of Summer Party fundraising event with partner organization.
• Secure event Co-Chairs and new committee members, and plan and lead committee meetings.
• Develop event collateral materials (Save the Dates, Invitation, etc.) and oversee printing and distribution.
• Secure underwriters, sponsors and auction items.
• Work with the National Park Service at Sandy Hook to coordinate infrastructure for the event.
• Plan and execute annual 5K Care for the Coast Lobster Run by securing sponsorship, runners, and host location, and working with race team to ensure successful fundraising event.
• Routinely identify other event opportunities partnering with community organizations and individuals).
• Maintain Two Rivers area presence through annual events such as a float in the Rumson St. Patrick’s Day Parade.
• Work with and support staff on community engagement and outreach efforts .
• Manage and grow membership.
• Manage membership benefits such as the coordination of four publication mailings annually (Underwater Naturalist magazine (2x), Littorally Speaking newsletter (2x).
• Supervise Membership Coordinator to maintain accurate records of donor contributions and acknowledgements.
• Plan and execute Members Day for 100+ members for Sandy Hook outing and picnic. • Ensure membership brochures are up to date and in adequate supply, and other recruitment materials are available to each office.
• Actively recruit new members while maintaining relationships with existing members.
• Work with Executive Director and President of the Board to cultivate potential new trustees and execute special donor cultivation events.
• Work with Membership Coordinator to recruit and supervise administrative volunteers who help with major mailings and other administrative work.
• Together with Communications Manager and Assistant Director, develop all print marketing materials related to fundraising
• Develop annual schedule and content for electronic fundraising communications to coincide with ongoing communications efforts of the Society.
• Regularly identify and participate in key community events for membership cultivation and outreach purposes, which may require working on some weekends.
• With Executive Director and Director of Finance, develop departmental budgets for Fundraising and Membership program budgets.
• Self-starter with excellent prioritization and time management skills.
• Passion for environmental causes.
• Excellent written and oral communications and interpersonal skills.
• Minimum 5 years of fundraising experience
• Grant writing experience and individual and foundation relationship management experience.
• Microsoft Office Suite knowledge
• Proficiency in Excel, and ability to learn database management system (GiftWorks)
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in fundraising.
Salary commensurate with experience. This is a full-time, at-will position based at our headquarters at Sandy Hook (Highlands), NJ. Generous time-off policy and health benefits.
LEVEL OF LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY
Perfect command of the English language in both written and oral forms.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY
Application Deadline: Dec. 8, 2017.
Interested candidates should email their resume and cover letter with three references to Assistant Director Pim Van Hemmen at email@example.com
Please send Word documents or PDFs and use the following naming convention:
In the subject line write: Director of Development, Membership and Outreach
The American Littoral Society provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the American Littoral Society complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. The organization also expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The American Littoral Society’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.