Mersky, Jaffe & Associates, a national executive search and consulting firm, has been engaged to conduct a search for the Chief Operating Officer (COO) of Daily Table, Boston, Massachusetts, a nonprofit retail food market addressing issues of food insecurity and nutrition in the inner city.
Daily Table exists to provide access to affordable nutrition for everyone. It does this through both ready-to-eat meals, and a selection of produce and grocery items all at prices that are designed to improve access to a truly nutritious diet. Led by Doug Rauch, former President of Trader Joe’s, Daily Table opened its first store in June 2015 in the Dorchester neighborhood of Boston. We will open a second store in Roxbury during Summer 2017. We expect to open additional locations in the future both in Boston and other cities in America. Please visit our website at www.dailytable.org to learn more.
As COO, you will aid the founder and the board in executing the strategy for this innovative and sustainable nonprofit grocery retail model. You are an exceptional leader who
· brings strong management and strategic operations experience;
· fosters a collaborative work environment; and
· promotes teamwork.
You will grow the vision of the founder to reach the overall goals to decrease food insecurity, poor nutrition, and diet-related illnesses in the inner city, while educating and providing access to affordable, high-quality food.
You have an entrepreneurial, ‘can do’ spirit, with several successful years in the retail industry, preferably in grocery store and/or food service enterprises. You have successfully participated in scaling a business. You will serve as the operational leader of the organization, and oversee all aspects of the business including: personnel management, supply chain management, commissary food production, expansion planning and finance. You will share the vision of the founder and have a passion for creating a positive, scalable, and sustainable impact in low to moderate income urban neighborhoods.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Think and act entrepreneurially to achieve operational excellence in all business units to ensure the highest quality service in achieving Daily Table’s mission
· Collaborate with staff and outside advisors to develop and implement operational standards and procedures
· Ensure operational standards and procedures are being held by retail, kitchen and logistics managers
· Support startup and ongoing operations at new retail locations to ensure continued smooth and efficient functioning of the business.
· Seek business opportunities that further the mission of Daily Table, including culinary and supplier partnerships
· Collaborate with the founder and the board to expand to new retail locations, first in the Boston-area then in other metropolitan areas
· Provide project management to ensure each new build out remains on track and on budget
· Provide effective and inspiring leadership by being actively involved in all programs and services, developing a broad and deep knowledge of all programs
· Help create and maintain a healthy corporate culture driven by high levels of trust, care and accountability and a passion for our mission,
· Be responsible for all aspects of Daily Table’s business operations, including its financial results
· Oversee the development and evaluation of direct reports
· Prepare and submit an annual budget, manage effectively within this budget, and report accurately on progress made and challenges encountered
· Oversee cash flow, financial forecasting, audit, and bookkeeping activities
· Ensure the continued financial viability of Daily Table’s operational units through sound fiscal management
· Review key finance- and HR-related procedures, processes, and administration, recommending improvements to the systems in place and managing the systems going forward
· Collaborate with the board and staff to manage relationships with key community stakeholders, including: customers, funders, suppliers, service providers and city officials
· Seek out and participate in opportunities for presentations that advance the public image of the organization
You report to the Daily Table Founder and President, Doug Rauch.
You will supervise all operational staff including: Store Managers, Executive Chef, Director of Advancement, Marketing Specialist, Procurement Specialist, Buyer, Teaching Kitchen Administrator and Bookkeeper. Additional direct reports will be hired in the future, including management personnel that may take over one or more of the existing direct reports.
· You have a Bachelor’s degree (required), professional or Master’s degree a plus
· You have at least 5 years of experience as COO/ VP of Operations / Director of Operations, preferably in a multi-department grocery, retail or food-service business
· You have actively participated in successfully scaling a business
· You understand all parts of a retail business – purchasing, operations, marketing/sales
· You have strong managerial and leadership skills, with experience in training, developing, and coaching staff at all levels
· You have excellent problem-solving skills and can think on your feet
· You have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to grow and develop relationships with various stakeholders
· You are proficient in financial analysis, project management, and human resource management
· You have a high level of comfort in working in a collegial. collaborative, start-up environment
· You are flexible as circumstances require
· You are committed to the mission and vision of Daily Table. A demonstrated interest in food insecurity issues and nutrition is a plus. Understanding of social enterprises desirable.
Must be able to stand, walk, sit, climb stairs and occasionally lift up to 25 pounds from floor to waist high. Work is primarily performed in a small office environment while operating standard office equipment.
Full-time position based in Boston headquarters. Travel between Boston locations is required, as well as infrequent out-of-state travel.
Competitive salary, depending on experience.
If you, or anyone you know, might be a suitable candidate for this unique position, please forward the person’s name, cover letter, resume, salary requirements and contact information to Rachel Woda at email@example.com. Applications are due by June 2, 2017.