Farmville Area Habitat for Humanity
Job Description: Construction Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
Farmville Area Habitat for Humanity is looking for a part-time construction manager. The Construction Manager is responsible for the overall construction process of this Affiliate in accordance with the direction, policies and objectives set by the Board of Directors.
Responsibilities include management of new home and critical repair construction of three or more projects per year, from planning, obtaining permits, and assuring final completion of punch list items. Primary duties include developing house construction schedules, supervising construction staff, monitoring subcontractors, timely ordering of proper materials, directing and training skilled and unskilled volunteers, ordering and monitoring inspections, and the assurance of compliance with appropriate building codes.
Work may be at multiple sites. Candidate will work closely with Executive Director and Construction Committee to improve our building process and develop and implement a blueprint to successfully increase home improvement and construction projects.
Responsibilities and duties:
Oversee the entire building process at all construction sites to include developing project budget, and schedules, obtaining permits, materials procurement and coordination of subcontractors.
• Plan each work day based on crew size, and required tools and materials.
• Promote best practices for all construction activities to ensure safety.
• Obtain competitive bids for materials and services
• Solicit donations of materials and professional labor and maintain donor relationships
• Create and maintain job schedules and project files
• Consider future affiliate projects by ordering bulk items
• Participate in property acquisition and Construction Committee meetings
• Work with Volunteer Coordinator and family advocate to ensure that volunteers and partner families are productively involved in the construction process
• Work closely with the Executive Director and Volunteer Coordinator in the planning and delivery of appropriate training of volunteers and partner families
• Manage skilled and unskilled volunteers
• Ensure volunteers have a consistently good experience, thus motivating them to return
• Ensure that all volunteers have signed in and completed their liability waiver appropriately
• Work with volunteers and Volunteer Coordinator to identify potential crew leaders and other skilled workers
Required Knowledge and Skills:
• Commitment to Habitat for Humanity’s mission and philosophy as an ecumenical Christian ministry
• A strong background in residential home construction; college degree in related field preferred
• Computer literacy a must
• Five years of related experience in a supervisory role
• Must possess excellent people skills
• Establish and maintain good working relationships with volunteers and homeowner families of all ages, races, faiths, backgrounds and skill level
• Ability to work with minimal supervision
Farmville Area Habitat for Humanity’s mission is to eliminate substandard housing conditions through affordable housing homeownership. Farmville Area Habitat for Humanity establishes a partnership with the family buying the home and our Habitat Affiliate. Hence, this is not a typical construction job. We invite those looking for challenging and rewarding work to join our team.
This 24 hour a week position offers paid vacation days and a relaxed work environment. Depending upon the Affiliate’s growth, this position may have the potential to become a full-time job.
Farmville Area Habitat for Humanity is an equal-opportunity employer
How to apply
Please send your resume and letter of interest to email@example.com
No phone call please.