Public Profit helps mission-driven organizations measure and manage what matters. Our clients include a variety of public service organizations that serve children and youth, including schools, nonprofits, foundations, cities, and children’s policy advocates. We develop and implement program evaluations, help clients to build their own evaluation capacity, and create interactive data visualizations.
We are seeking a full-time Research Assistant to support project teams with data collection, management, and analysis. Ours is a fast-paced office, with multiple simultaneous high-priority projects and firm deadlines. This position will provide support to multiple project teams.
Successful team members bring a sense of humor, best-of-the-best productivity, superlative attention to detail, strong problem solving abilities and project management skills, a passion for learning, and a commitment to providing high quality customer service. Much of our work is quantitatively based; comfort with numbers a must! Bilingual/ bicultural candidates are encouraged to apply.
Primary activities include:
• Supporting participant survey development, distribution and processing.
• Conducting primary data collection by conducting structured site visits to youth programs.
• Conducting primary data collection through semi-structured interviews and focus groups, in collaboration with other team members.
• Data management tasks including checking data files for completeness, creating composite measures and other constructed variables, running basic descriptive statistics, and matching data sets.
• Assisting with the creation of a variety of deliverables, including written reports, presentations, and data dashboards.
• Delegating administrative tasks to Project Assistants to assure that projects function smoothly.
• Co-facilitating trainings, work sessions, and large-scale meetings.
• Providing on-site support at meetings and trainings, including managing check-in, taking notes, and distributing minutes.
The ideal candidate will have:
• Two years’ experience in a similar professional capacity, ideally in a position focused on program evaluation or social science research.
• Hands-on experience troubleshooting messy data sets of any size.
• Hands-on experience managing large data sets (1,000+ cases) in Excel; experience with SPSS (or STATA, SAS, or R) a plus.
• Experience collecting and cleaning data, such as through surveys, site observations, or interviews.
• Formal training in descriptive and inferential statistics.
• Superlative attention to detail; flawless follow-through on assigned tasks.
• Experience managing and sharing tasks in a team setting
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and to meet established deadlines.
• Strong familiarity with Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and the ability to work for extended periods while sitting at a computer.
• This is a full-time, exempt position. Working hours include evenings until 6pm and occasional weekends for site visits
• Starting salary from $45-50K, DOE.
• Public Profit pays employee’s health insurance premiums.
• 401(k) retirement plan with employer match, up to 4% of total salary.
• Generous professional development budget.
• 10 company holidays, 15 days paid time off to start.
• Assistant will work at Public Profit’s offices in downtown Oakland.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY
• Email a cover letter and resume, with candidate’s name in the document title (e.g.
Amirah Shah Resume) to email@example.com.
• Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
• Applications with substantial grammatical or spelling errors will not be reviewed.
• Applications that are not specific to this position will not be reviewed.
• Position is open until filled; applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis through
December 31, 2017.