The East Oakland Community Project (EOCP) is looking for a proactive, detail-oriented Bookkeeper to the Accounting Lead. The activities associated with this position include but are not limited to producing contract billings and administrative support to human resources.Office in green building accessible by bus. Busy but congenial work environment.
Requirements: Responsive, flexible individuals with strong communication skills are encouraged to apply. Must be proficient in Microsoft Excel. QuickBooks experience is a must. Nonprofit experience preferred. Three to five years experience as a Bookkeeper required. Available for immediate hire.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Prepares all contract billings monthly by program
• Prepares non-financial material for annual company audit as directed by Controller, ED and Accounting Lead
• Collates back-up documentation for monthly invoices ( monthly contract billings)
• Processes and pays employee expense reports
• Processes charges and pays company credit cards
• Processes mileage reimbursements
• Responsible for accounts payable
• Responsible for accounts receivable
• Responsible for employee benefit plans, including calculations
• Helps to prepare for the annual audit
• Assists in addressing any accounting issues raised by auditors
• Meets with auditor(s), as needed
• Reviews invoices for major contracts/grants and tracks individual/contract collections (accounts receivables)
• Complies with State and Federal Government requirements as it relates to grants and payroll services
• Liaise with vendors, such as utility providers, and follow-up on late accounts
• Ensures that receivables are collected promptly
• Conducts periodic reconciliation of general ledger accounts to ensure accuracy
• Maintains petty cash fund
• Processes payroll in a timely manner and follow-up to resolve errors/discrepancies
• Monitors fixed assets
• Assists in calculating and issuing financial analysis of the financial statement
• Performs month end close
• Codes invoices and receipts to appropriate classes, accounts, and programs
• Prepares various account summaries and reports. Compiles, maintains, and produces statistics and reports of such records as vacation time, sick leave, and banked holidays
• Assists with tax related issues such as 1099, W-2, wage garnishments, etc…
• Maintains accounting filing systems (e.g. for employee benefits, insurance, contracts, vendor requisitions, payroll etc.)
• Performs other related duties as required
Education and Experience
Position requires a B.A. with an excellent skills base, or 2 years college with at least 5 years experience (or equivalent education/experience) in accounting support services in a demanding fast paced office environment.
Language Skills: Excellent communication and writing skills
• Ability to work independently and
• Ability to organize their desk in an efficient manner with regard to workflow
• Ability to prioritize and multitask
• Ability to learn new tasks quickly
• Excellent organizational skills
• Ability to perform multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to successfully manage several ongoing projects simultaneously.
• Ability to complete projects on a timely basis
Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and computer calendar programs (Microsoft Outlook). Successful candidate must be knowledgeable of and familiar with working in QuickBooks.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Must be in good physical condition, able to lift 30-50lb weights for file storage, receiving orders, etc. Good stamina required to perform in a fast pace and often-stressful environment.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The Bookkeeper shares an office with the organization’s Accounting Lead and Executive Assistant/Office Manager. Office environment is busy, often stressful with many interruptions and many incoming calls.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.